Why is my Roku Not Connecting To The Internet?
How to Fix a Roku that Won't Connect to the Internet. Your computer is able to overcome this because it has built-in DNS settings, but the Roku looks to the router for this information.) Run the Roku setup again. If you still aren't able to connect to the Internet, then bounce (unplug) the router. Leave it unplugged for 15 seconds.
- Login to your router. (typically this is done through an internal ip address like 192.168.1.100). You enter this IP address directly into your web browser same as you would a website. **NOTE some people actually enter web addresses into Google, and then navigate that way. This won’t work. Enter the IP address directly into the browser’s Location or Navigation bar at the top. This will take you to your router’s login screen. *NOTE sometimes the router’s default password is “password”. But it’s possible that your password was changed during installation. If you don’t have your router’s password, contact your Internet provider.
- Once logged into your router, navigate to its DNS settings. My guess is that if your Roku isn’t working, it’s because rather than an external IP address being used for your DNS, the router is set to use an internal IP address. (Your computer is able to overcome this because it has built-in DNS settings, but the Roku looks to the router for this information.)
- Replace the internal DNS address with a public DNS address. What worked for us was using Google’s public DNS. So set DNS1 to 18.104.22.168 and DNS2 to 22.214.171.124 .
- Save your settings.
- Run the Roku setup again. If you still aren’t able to connect to the Internet, then bounce (unplug) the router. Leave it unplugged for 15 seconds. Then power it back up. Try again with the Roku. If that doesn’t work, bounce the Roku. Leave it unplugged for 15 seconds, plug the power back in. The 15-second rule with computers and hardware is surprisingly effective.
- If you’ve set the DNS properly, your Roku should now (finally) connect to the Internet. When this happens, it will complete its setup process and you should be good to go.
- Get the popcorn, it’s time to find out what heat gorgeous Betty McRae gets into
How can I improve my Roku signal strength?
8 tips to improve your wireless internet connection
- Check your wireless signal strength.
- Change the location of your router.
- Reduce traffic on your wireless network.
- Check your advanced router settings (firmware)
- Change your wireless channel.
- Create a strong home network password.
- Get a wireless extender (Roku Streaming Stick only).
- Consider a new router.